The Bergamasco Sheepdog Association of Canada (BSAOC) was founded as a single-breed association in order to keep and maintain the breed registry for the Bergamasco in Canada and those who qualify internationally
BSAOC’s core purpose and mission is:
To preserve, protect and maintain the integrity of this breed in accordance with the FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationale) standard of excellence.
The Bergamasco Sheepdog Association of Canada is an independent and not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the responsible breeding and registering of purebred Bergamasco, and to do all in its power to bring their natural qualities to perfection. It is further dedicated to the preservation of the Bergamasco heritage as a well-balanced and patient herding dog. The Bergamasco dog forms a strong bond with humans, either as a working dog or as a family companion.
To carry out BSAOC’s mission,the Bergamasco Sheepdog Association of Canada will:
- maintain an independent, breed registry, to encourage and promote sound quality and strong goals in the breeding of the Bergamasco
- protect and maintain the breed in the standard of excellence afforded by the FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationale) – FCI standard number 194 (See the complete FCI Breed Standard, under “Breed Info” on this site.)
- ensure that members pledge to uphold the Code of Ethics, and that breeders know and adhere to the provisions of the breeding rules
- educate the public and create awareness about the nature of the breed, and responsibilities of ownership
- monitor, maintain and improve the health of the breed by creating an open genetics data base which contains health information on Bergamasco, normal and affected
- encourage and continue to promote medical research concerning genetic defects which may afflict the Bergamasco
- maintain a recognized registry for purebred Bergamasco with a comprehensive database
- protect and advance the best interests of the breed, with participation and good sporting conduct at any dog related sports or activities such as; canine good citizen events, search and rescue, fun matches, herding, agility, obedience as well as dog shows
- initiate and maintain a Bergamasco Rescue Program.